Subheading

Please join the Facebook group HERE, the Twitter page HERE or the Instagram page HERE for notifications of every post on here, so you can keep abreast of things and not miss out.

Tuesday 26 July 2016

Mix CD #11 - Inclusive: The Best of Stavesacre


Back in the late nineties I bought a cheap compilation album that turned out to be a sampler for Tooth & Nail records. I knew nothing about the label, I just wanted to listen to some new Punk bands, It turns out that T&N is a Christian music label and only releases albums by bands of a Christian persuasion. Had I known that at the time I probably wouldn't have bought it, dismissing it as preachy nonsense. If I hadn't I very likely would never have discovered one of my favourite bands. 
The first track on that compilation was Shiv by Stavesacre and was easily the best on the CD. A month or so later, I stumbled on a copy of Absolutes in a bargain bin and snapped it up. I absolutely (haha) loved it. I tracked down everything they did and over the years I've listened to them more and more until they've become of my all time top 10 favourite bands.

The band themselves are a Post-Hardcore band that formed from the ashes of Christian Thrash Metal/Crossover band, The Crucified. Vocalist Mark Salomon and Bassist Jeff Bellew (who switched to guitars) formed the band along with Dirk Lemmenes (Bass) and Jeremy Moffat (Drums). They still retained some of their earlier heaviness but are much more melodic which better suited mark's strong, soulful voice. 
After the release of their first album Friction in 1996, Jeremy Moffatt was replaced by Sam West and following the release of their second album Speakeasy, Jeff Bellew left the band to concentrate on family and Ryan Dennee joined as guitarist. Jeff later rejoined the band for the release of their final EP Against The Silence in 2009 and they now play as a five-piece. At least until they did that hiatus thing that bands do when they don't want to say they've broken up anyway.

There are several reasons I love this band, Mark is a hell of a singer. his voice is strong,  soulful and soars when he needs it to. As a band they're great songwriters too, intelligent lyrics, loads of catchy choruses, memorable lines and huge, pounding riffs held in check with a ton of melody. As for the Christian aspect, admittedly a few of their songs are a little bit "I Love Jesus me" but on the whole they're thoughtful, intelligent and introspective. More often than not Mark actively questions Christianity and his belief which  I can identify with. Nobody should blindly take anything as truth, especially not religion, make up your own mind about it. 

Stavesacre in 2009:
Mark Salomon, Sam West, Ryan Dennee, Dirk Lemmenes and Jeff Bellew

Anyway, there were a couple of reason for this post. Firstly, I wanted to do something themed as I haven't for a while now, secondly, I'm currently reading Mark Salomon's autobiography whcih I'm really enjoying and thirdly, I've just discovered there's to be a new album to be released this year of which I am VERY excited about. I'm less excited about the fact it was crowdfunded and I completely missed the campaign so I'll have to wait an extra 3 months for it to be officially released.

Making this playlist was hard as there was far too many songs I wanted that would fit onto one CD. I also wanted to put something on by The Crucified and also Outer Circle, which was a Punk side-Project Mark was involved in. There just wasn't the room, maybe I'll put them on a future mix, I dunno. There's also nothing from Collective, a Greatest Hits of sorts and also Live At Deep Ellum, I'll let you work out what that is for yourself. 
Give them a listen, try not to let the Christian thing put you off if it normally would. I love this band and would like everyone else to as well. If you do like them try and track down their albums cos they're great.

The Future History Of The Broken Hearted
Sundown Motel
Inclusive
At The Moment
Alice Wishlist
Teeth Like Knives
Freefall (From Hand To Hand)
Bull Takes Fighter
Witch Trial
Sand Dollar
Fear And Love
Why Good People Suffer
It's Beautiful (Once You're Out Here)
Shiv
Yes
Threshold
Minuteman
Side-Stage Syndrome
Zzyzx Scarecrow

You can download the mix, if you so wish, HERE

If you like what you hear then please try and support the band
THIS is the bands Merch store.
The albums can be (expensively) bought on Amazon HERE 
Dunno how it works but you can get them cheaper on Discogs HERE
If you're young and modern then you can listen to everything on Spotify HERE

Blurb below the cut, don't forget!

The Future History Of The Broken Hearted
Taken from the 2006 album How To Live With A Curse
When I first listened to this, their fifth and final album I was underwhelmed. I just didn't feel it at all. Gradually it seeped it's way in though and I grew to love it. This is quite a vitriolic song about hate and bigotry disguised as American patriotism. I guess it's a pretty relevant song considering America's current political climate and that scary horde of Trump devotees that are all over everything.

Sundown Motel
Taken from the 1999 album Speakeasy
This is a more mid-paced but anthemic song, on the surface it appears to be about a teenage couple running away from the town they live where nobody approves of their relationship. However I think there's more to it than that and it's more to do with the Christian music scene and Staveacre's eventual distancing themselves from it. Maybe even from Christianity as a whole. I think the modern church stands for a lot of things the band don't agree with and that's possibly more what this is about.

Inclusive
Taken from the 1997 album Absolutes
Inclusive is frenetic burst of energy that is one of their more God based songs. It might sounds a bit preachy at first but looking more into it It's more about being sick of the world, the people in it and ascending to heaven to get away from that. I love the little riffy bit in the chorus that goes "Duggadundun".

At The Moment
Taken from the 1996 album Friction
This is probably their most well known song, albeit within certain circles. It's quite a simple song about facing the dark times in your life with God by your side. Yeah yeah, I know, that's a bit too churchy for me too, but the song itself is a pretty one with a great chorus. I think the fact it's about a personal journey and such a positive message that it offsets any preachiness that may come across too.

Alice Wishlist
Taken from the 2002 album (stāvz'ā'kər)
This song is similar in theme by a song by another of my favourite bands The Miles Away Girl by The Wildhearts in that it's about a girl who always puts others before herself to her own detriment. It's one of my favourites from this particular album, It's very catchy and mumble-along-to plus it's sentimemtal in a nice way.

Teeth Like Knives
Taken from the 2009 EP Against The Silence
There's quite the contrast between Alice Wishlist and Teeth Like Knives. This is an aggressive, angry song that, I think, is about Christians who are holier-than-thou, judgmental and, not actually that Christian. Against The Silence was the last thing they recorded but also the first to feature returning guitarist Jeff Bellew. The band sound energised and hungry and the whole EP is great. If they do actually release a new album this year then I hope it sounds similar to this.

Freefall (From Hand To Hand)
Taken from the 1999 album Speakeasy
I've had to leave off a lot of their longer songs as there just isn't the room in one mix for them but I had to include Freefall as it's one of their best songs. It's about how you picture being an adult when you're young and how it actually turns out. It's a grand, sweeping song with a great riff and Mark is on top form vocally. Good stuff.

Bull Takes Fighter
Taken from the 2004 EP Bull Takes Fighter
The title track from a 4 song EP. If there was room I'd have inlcuded some of the others too as it's a quality EP. This song is an obvious choice for a single and lead track, a cool intro a big chorus and a champion the underdog message. It seems to be another song about Marks disillusion with the Christian music scene but can be taken more as standing up for yourself against a position of authority that fails in its duty,

Witch Trial
Taken from the 2002 album (stāvz'ā'kər)
The opening track from their sole release on Nitro Records, a Punk label formed by a couple of members of The Offspring. It was probably the height of the band's success, most of the live footage on Youtube seems to come from this era. It's also the only album to feature rhythm guitarist Neil Samoy. 

Sand Dollar
Taken from the 1997 album Absolutes
I don't really know whats going on in that cover. Is it a ship on the sea? Is that a naked woman on the left? I dunno. This was the first of their albums I bought and it's a classic. Sand Dollar is the second track on it and is about laying on a beach contemplating your life, choices and mistakes you've made throughout it. 
(EDIT: Since reading about this in Mark's book it's partly about when his Step-Dad used to go hang gliding and he used to sit on the nearby beach cos he was too young to glide) I love the guitar in this song, it's a weird melodious chugging thing that works really well. Oh and THIS weird thing is a Sand Dollar.

Fear And Love
Taken from the 2006 album How To Live With A Curse
I said before that this album left me cold at first and that, over time, I grew to love it. This song in particular I thought was very forgettable. it wasn't until six months ago, when it cropped up on shuffle, that  I paid attention to it. Now I don't know what I found forgettable at all about it and I listen to it all the time, I quite often listen to it 2 or 3 times in a row. The chorus is incredibly catchy and the guitar line hits me right in the wibbly spot. It really reminds me of another song and it's driving me mad trying to think what it is, Lyrically it's just about getting old and looking back at your life and deciding whether you've done good with it or not. 

Why Good People Suffer
Taken from the 2002 album (stāvz'ā'kər)
I've always taken the phrase 'God moves in mysterious ways' to be a sugary way of saying sometimes, he's a bit of a knobhead. This is one of their pacier song and deals with the previous concept and which side of good and bad you fall on and whether it even matters.

It's Beautiful (Once You're Out Here)
Taken from the 2006 album How To Live With A Curse
A song about sometimes you just need to forget about  all the things stressing you out and just get away from it and relax. Knowing Stavesacre there's probably a deeper meaning to it that I've completely missed but it's nice to have a positive message so let's just leave it at that,..

Shiv
Taken from the 1997 album Absolutes
This was the track on that Tooth & Nail compilation, the first one of theirs I ever heard. It's a short, aggressive song with no real let up. To be honest, there's probably a few better songs I could have put here in its place but it has a special place in my heart and I couldn't bring myself not to include it. 

Yes
Taken from the 2002 album (stāvz'ā'kər)
Yes is an unusual song for Stavesacre in that it's an actual proper ballad. A gentle thing, complete with strings and some nice (unknown) female  backing vocals. About the time this album came out I was suffering with depression and this song made me feel a bit better when I listened to it. Which was quite a lot. 

Threshold
Taken from the 1996 album Friction
The opening track from their first album and one of only two of their songs that have official videos. You can watch it HERE if you like. It's a spiteful rant against and unnamed person or persons. 'Swine-bred children of guile' apparently. It's a heavy song and a great opener, I was gonna open the mix with it but, well, I didn't. 

Minuteman
Taken from the 1999 album Speakeasy

Another opening track, this time from Speakeasy. This song is about the efficient militia in America's War Of Independence. This name comes from their need to be ready at a minutes notice. They're apparently a symbol of Patriotism and resolve in the US. It's a mid-paced but uplifting anthem about seeing things through 'til the end.  Titters about premature ejaculation are not to be welcomed. Tee hee. 

Side-Stage Syndrome
Taken from the 2009 EP Against The Silence
One of the band's fastest and heaviest songs that seems to be yet another song about Mark's dissatisfaction and distancing with the Christian music scene. I guess it can be taken as being about a personal journey and accepting yourself for who you are too I guess.

Zzyzx Scarecrow
Taken from the 1999 album Absolutes
                            

One of their longer songs and the closing track on Absolutes, it begins slowly and ominously with lyrics about the wrath of God and gradually builds up to a tumultuous finalé. It's somewhat ambiguous lyrically, I'm not sure if it's about how unfairly black and white God can be or just that some folks need themselves a smitin'.
Zzyzx (pronounced Zai-Zix I think!) is a small town in Nevada, just within the borders of the Mojave desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment