Subheading

Please join the Facebook group HERE, the Twitter page HERE or the Instagram page HERE for notifications of every post on here, so you can keep abreast of things and not miss out.

Thursday 7 November 2019

Mix CD #49 - Rec & Play


Hello all! Here's the forty ninth edition of the blog and, once again, there's no theme other than right good music and that. Also just like previous mixes, there's music represented from a wide range of nationalities, around eleven I think, but a couple of the songs are sung in non-English. Maybe one day I'll get around to a full mix of other languages, I've been planning to for a while.

Some of you may have read my post on Facebook about the next post, it doesn't take a mathematical genius to calculate it'll be the fiftieth one. I always wanted to do something special for such a big landmark, a meaningful theme or something. As it happens, it's fallen in December which is when I always do my AOTY so it looks like that's your special blog. Happy birthday.

In the meantime, have a read (and a listen if you want) to this blog. As I said, it's right good.

Cheers,
Luke
x


Tracklisting
I'm From Barcelona - Rec And Play
Killed A Fox - Gone With The Devil's Hum
The Toy Dolls - Sciatica Sucks
The Wind Whistles - The Quietest Voice
Raindrop Collector - Hell In Me
Once Human - Dark Matter
Chvrches - Forever
The New Roses - Can't Stop Rock & Roll
Shrug Dealer - That's $10 You Owe Me Now, Dickhead!
Caerus - Antimatter
Speedmatics - Ella
Repulsive Woman - When I Get Good
DVOLV - Within This Mortal Soil
Those Fucking Snowflakes - Stop Being Dickheads To Each Other
Hippie Death Cult - Unborn
Smash Potater - Toxic Masculinity Holocaust
Amy Gabba & The Almost Famous - F.U. Cupid
Roadsaw - Fat Rats
Badflower - Die
Helengard - Summer Feast

THIS could be your favourite song, this could be your favourite albuuuum



I'm From Barcelona - Rec And Play
Taken from the 2006 album Let Me Introduce My Friends
I've got no idea why this 28 piece band from Sweden are called I'm From Barcelona, though I do know it's way more memorable than I'm From Jönköping where they are actually from. Music-wise, Rec & Play is a fantastic slice of catchy Chamber Pop all about experiencing something so special and amazing that you just want to keep reliving it over and over. 
I've been meaning to include this song for a while because I really love it but it always seems to get shunted for some reason. Not today!

Killed A Fox - Gone With The Devil's Hum
Taken from the 2019 album Crown Shyness
Yet another quality band from the Croatian record label, House Of Pablo. Like the majority of the bands on that label, Killed A Fox are a Stoner Rock band, though with more of an Alternate Rock take on it. Gone With the Devil's Hum is taken from their third album and is one of the highlights on there for me. It's a creepy, uneasy song with a very Kyuss-like riff and a Grungy vibe. I think it's a tale of lost or unrequited love that possibly goes a bit serial killery. I really like the imagery of the doom-laden chorus: 
"With pain in my breath, I curse you all the time. And it makes your death almost as sweet as mine"

Every now and then the distinctive riff is sung along with in a falsetto "Doo doo doo" kind of way. It should be daft but once you're involved in the song it's actually sort of unsettling! I've been listening to it a ton just lately and still haven't got bored of it.

The Toy Dolls - Sciatica Sucks
Taken from the 2012 album The Album After The Last One
I imagine quite a lot of people are like me in that the first I ever heard of The Toy Dolls was as a kid seeing them do a Punk version of Nellie The Elephant on the telly. Here we are 35 years later and they've released what I can only assume is their thirteenth album, Episode XIII.
I only really started looking into them last year some time and, while Vocalist/Guitarist Olga's cartoony vocals are probably an acquired taste, they have a ton of great songs outside that one cover. I suppose I should have included a track from their most recent album but I love this ode to back pain so opted for this instead. Maybe it's just me but I found the chorus infuriating in that it's dead catchy and singalong but also impossible to actually sing along to.

The Wind Whistles - The Quietest Voice
Taken from the 2011 album Animals Are People Too
This Indie Folk duo from Canada have been inactive for a few years but released a couple of charming little albums, of which Animals Are People Too was the last. A lot of their songs are fairly irreverent and twee but The Quietest Voice is quite poignant. It's about people who are loud and boastful generally have less to say than those with actual wisdom and experience don't feel the need to broadcast to all and sundry. It's a gorgeous melody and I feel like maybe it should have been fleshed out as a song to one that's more than 2 minutes long, 

Raindrop Collector - Hell In Me
Taken from the band's Soundcloud page
A few weeks ago, someone posted in the Prog Snob group on Facebook asking members to share their music. One of the guys from Raindrop Collector posted a link to their Soundcloud, a couple of the songs were downloadable so I downloadabled them and it turns out they're pretty good! 
As you'd expect with them being sourced from a Prog group, they're a modern Prog outfit and Hell In Me displays some fairly prominent Porcupine Tree influences. Kicking off with an energetic, crunchy riff that soon gives way to atmospheric, semi-acoustic passages and gentle vocals before bursting back in again from time to time. I really like this song and I hope they get around to releasing a full album at some point.

Once Human - Dark Matter
Taken from the 2017 album Evolution
Once Human are a hefty Metalcore band that feature former (current?) Machine Head guitarist Logan Mader. Dark Matter is from their most recent album, Evolution and is one of their more straightforward, hard-hitting tracks. There are no clean vocals from vocalist Lauren Hart, just raw, forceful roars. There's a touch of Djent to the guitars and some blistering blastbeats that pound relentlessly throughout the thing. It's very \m/, possibly even \m/ \m/

Chvrches - Forever
Taken from the 2018 album Love Is Dead
You've probably seen about the kerfuffle regarding Chvrches placing on the bill of the Día De Los Deftones festival, with Jamey Jasta from Hatebreed outraged about their playing after Gojira. I assume it's all over and done with now that Gojira stepped in and sent merch to both parties. I do sort of understand what he was getting at but unfortunately, he just came across like a whiny little bitch an out of touch old man. 
Obviously, Chvrches aren't going to be every Metal fan's cup of tea but all three of their albums are excellent slices of acerbic Synthpop with strong, memorable songs, like Forever. At first listen it sounds like a spiteful song, with a chorus line of "I told you I would hate you 'til forever" but it's actually about expressing regret for spiteful things said in moments of anger.

The New Roses - Can't Stop Rock n' Roll
Taken from the 2019 album Nothing But Wild
I've had Can't Stop Rock n' Roll stuck in my head for weeks now and can't seem to shake the bloody thing. It's an energetic Hard Rock track with a verse that's as ridiculously catchy as its chorus is. I have no doubt that, if it was released back in about 1987 (like it sounds it's from) rather than 2019 then it would still be appearing on Classic Rock and Dad Driving compilations to this day. It's as timeless as any Livin' On A Prayer or Cherry Pie's. Nothing But Wild is their fourth album and all are great and The New Roses are definitely one of the better NWOCR bands.
I was initially a little derisive of the band due to Tommy Rough's fake American accent but, at the time I thought they were Welsh for some reason. Well, it turns out they're German, so I guess that, until I can sing fluent German in a flawless Austrian accent, I should just shut my stupid mouth.

Shrug Dealer - That's $10 You Owe Me Now, Dickhead!
Taken from the 2018 EP Shrug Dealer
This four-piece from NYC are one of many bands that have come to my attention due to Facebook's insidious advertising bots so maybe they aren't all bad. Shrug Dealer are a Melodic Hardcore/Punk band with lead vocals shared between the guitarists, Russ and Rob. One of them, I dunno which, has a voice that frequently reminds me of Frank Turner, especially during his time in Million Dead. Bit odd considering they're from different Continents.
They are quite clearly a band that favour the lost art of comedy titles for serious songs. That's $10 You Owe Me Now, Dickhead! seems to be about the failings of democracy on a societal level.

Caerus - Antimatter
Taken from the 2019 Mini-album The Morphing Process
Like Shrug Dealer, I discovered Caerus when Facebook thrust them upon me, they're a modern Groove Metal band from The Netherlands and The Morphing Process is their debut release. Antimatter is a riff-heavy track but also melodic. I hear some touches of Maynard James Keenan is the vocals sometimes, maybe it's as much to do with the melodies as it is José Leijnse's voice. There's a cool little breakdown about 3 minutes in which I like too. They've recently parted ways with a guitarist so I don't what the future of the band is but this mini-album shows a lot of promise.

Speedmatics - Ella
Taken from the 2019 EP A La Calle
This Punk band from Spain offered up a few tracks on the Jamendo website (which I recommend you should check out if you like, legally, free music) and they're all pretty good. I suppose it should be expected that a Spanish band should sing in Spanish but it was still a surprise to me on first listen. My Spanish is limited to 'hola', 'adios', 'gracias' and 'unas albóndigas por favor' so I understood not a word of this. I do however love the song and attempt to singalong regardless. 
I've put the lyrics through Google Translate and it seems to be about a girl growing up and instead of playing with dolls, learns to play the guitar, rebels against her parents and writes songs about the hypocrisies of a patriarchal world.

Repulsive Woman - When I Get Good
Taken from the 2019 album Relief
Repulsive Woman is the solo project of, the very much not repulsive, Millie Lovelock of the Indie Folk band Astro Children from New Zealand and Relief is her debut album. It's a gentle, soothing slice of Folky Dream Pop and When I Get Good is one of the highlights for me. It's built around a simple, repetitive guitar line with some really subtle cello and backing vocals that all blend into a kind of drone. It's better than that sounds, honest! The song's about insomnia brought on by anxiety and worry and the title comes from the final, closing line: "When I get good at waking up in the mornings, I'll be okay"

DVOLV - Within This Mortal Soil
Taken from the 2013 album Doom Tribe Ritual
I found this Industrial Metal band from Canada whilst browsing the Name Your Price tag on Bandcamp. They've so far released four albums and they're all pretty cool, I say ' They' DVOLV is actually just one man, Corin Benoit. Although essentially an Industrial Metal band, he takes influence from other Cyber/Gothy styles such as EBM, Nu Metal and so forth and it keeps things fresh and interesting. Within This Mortal Soil rumbles along with a clanking, mechanical rhythm which lies at odds with its lyrical theme of getting back to nature to free your mind of stress and pressure of modern society.

Those Fucking Snowflakes - Stop Being Dickheads To Each Other
Taken from the 2019 single Stop Being Dickheads To Each Other
The second of two Dickhead based songs on the mix this month, this one being by a Mathcore/Punk/Post Hardcore trio from Blackpool. Stop Being Dickheads To Each Other is a lighthearted song delivering a serious message and is essentially a list of non-existent sides in unnecessary conflicts and prejudices, all punctuated with the mantra of "There's just people!"
I listened to this song about 5 times in a row the first time I heard it. I think it's gonna be on their debut EP, U OK Hun? which is due early next year. Keep an eye out for it.

Hippie Death Cult - Unborn
Taken from the 2019 album 111
Hippie Death Cult are Stoner/Doom band from Portland, Oregan and their debut album, 111, is a little more thoughtful and intelligent than their gonzoid name might initially suggest. Ben Jackson's voice is soulful but subtle and weaves its way throughout the heavy but not brash riffs. The bass has a fantastic rumble to it and the keyboards are sparse but effective. 111 is a very accomplished debut but, from what I can gather, all of the members are veterans of the scene. Unborn is as good as an introduction to the band as anything. It's driving, pounding riff powers the song along for eight and half minutes while Ben howls about, I think, Mother Nature wiping out the human race in retribution for the damage we've caused the world.

Smash Potater - Toxic Masculinity Holocaust
Taken from the 2019 album Suburban Legends
In stark contrast to the Hippie Death Cult track, Toxic Masculinity Holocaust is a few seconds over a minute long. Beginning with a softly spoken sample from The Wedding Singer it soon erupts into the band's chaotic mix of old school Thrash, Death Metal and Grindcore and a virulent rant about how abhorrent men can be online. There are some great female vocals towards the end too, by someone called Azalee Panama Cano who Google refuses to enlighten me about. 

Amy Gabba & The Almost Famous - F.U. Cupid
Taken from the2019 EP The Heart Is Stupid
Amy Gabba & The Almost Famous are a Toronto based Ska Punk band though they're more Poppy Alternative Rock than they are Punk I think. The Ska is only intermittent as well so they come across more like Letters To Cleo than they do Save Ferris, for example. In any case, this is a good little EP,  Amy has a strong, clear voice, the guitars are decently crunchy and all five songs are well written and catchy. F.U Cupid is the only song on there over three minutes long and is, if you couldn't guess by the title, an anti-love song. It's a great, catchy song with a big, memorable chorus. Oh, and it's advisable not to let it play it loudly while you're pottering at work though, as I discovered to my detriment.

Roadsaw - Fat Rats
Taken from the 2019 album Tinnitus The Night
This veteran Stoner band hail from Boston (I'm assuming Massachusetts, not Lincolnshire) and formed in the mid-'90s; they've released about half a dozen or so albums since then. I discovered them on the renowned Stoner compilation, Sucking The '70s where they were one of the stand out bands I thought. Their current album is a great collection of Southern/Blues/Biker Rock anthems like Fat Rats. it's amid-pace stomper with a great, rolling riff, a really cool lackadaisical guitar melody that pops up now and then. The vocal melody in the verses is great too.

Badflower - Die
Taken from the 2019 album OK, I'm Sick
This Alternative Rock quartet from LA have had a fair bit of success with their debut album and it's easy to see why. The songs are memorable, eclectic and intelligently written. Song subjects are varied and more than just the standard love and breakup songs. 
My only real criticism of it is the amount of unnecessary swearing. Almost every song has a few fucks peppered through it and a lot of the time it just feels a bit 'Ooh we're edgy', which does the band a disservice in my opinion. 
One song that warrants the salty language is this one, Die. It's a vitriolic and unsubtle diatribe about the MAGA brigade, Trump and the current Republican Government. It's one of the more rocking tracks on OK, I'm Sick and Josh Katz screams out the hate-filled chorus with palpable rage.

Helengard - Summer Feast
Taken from the 2017 album Firebird
Closing the mix this Month is something a little different but all the better for it. Helengard are a Folk Metal band from Ukraine and Summer Feast is taken from their third and most recent album. 
There are all sorts thrown into this track, both male and female vocals of varying styles, what sounds like harps, tin whistles, acoustic guitars, possibly bagpipes? Is that a balalaika? There's definitely a hurdy gurdy in there. It's all pinned together with a groovy, crunching metal riff. It's a bouncing cheery track that sounds like the perfect accompaniment to quaffing flagons of mead. 
There's the sound of hubbub running through the track, especially towards the end too that make it sound like it's being played live in a Viking longhouse or something. I love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment